Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Garage Lighting with no mains supply

Gary G

I just bought a battery-powered twin florescent tube lamp from Screw-Fix Direct. Cost me £19.99 and I've got to say that it's the D*gs B****cks.

It has the highest Wattage per tube I could find for battery powered jobs and it really is bright given it's not connected to the mains. It takes 20 hours to charge, but can last up to 3hrs if you use just one tube. Use both tubes and this reduces to 1.5.

Not long enough for some of you who like to tinker all night, but good for most of us.

I'm not on commission or connected in any way to this company, but you can order on line at www.screwfixdirect.com.

The other thing to note is that they do everything you'd want for DIY projects, plus quite a few car bits, and so far I've found them rediculously good value for money.

C7 GAR

Screwfix are pretty good value, they sometimes have some wonderful offers. Last year I bought a 9 inch angle grinder (thats a big one) from them for £40. I have used it for over 100 hours since cutting concrete blocks and for grinding and it has easily paid for itself. I have never seen another one of these cheaper, and wish I had bought two.

I am a satisfied customer.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 29 Jan 2002 07:25:02

Yep, Screwfix are brilliant, I've bought loads of gear from them over the last six months for doing up our new house. They're cheap (half price compared to "B & Base"), next day delivery, and if there's any problem with the gear (even if you order it incorrectly!)they have a return post deal set up or they will pick it up from your house!

Apparently they used to supply trade only, and realised that there was a market for their services with the general public, went on the net, and haven't looked back.

Mike

THAT IS EXCELLENT INFORMATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was going to post a question about this... but thought i'd get laughed off the site ! my council rented garage is a few hunnerd yards away from my pad, so i have a no 'lectric problem too.

brilliant.. i'm off to the website now.

cheers gary g !

teeth.gif

ps ORDERED IT !

Edited by - jam mad on 29 Jan 2002 14:27:15

I solved my no electric problem by buying a 110amp/hour caravan leisure battery ( cost approx £40) and a 12 volt neon strip light (again designed for caravans, cost 15 quid).

The battery should power the light for around 80-90 hours (its not flat yet after 2 months of use), then when its flat I'll just take the battery home and recharge it.

It gives good enough light, and its on a long cable so can be used as an inspection type light.

Julian - The caravan battery sounds like a great idea! My garage is in a block without power and I was considering buying a small petrol generator. Apparently Machine mart offers a couple models described as "whisper quite". Any comments on buying a generator for such use.?

I breifly looked into generators, but decided they were too expensive (all around 200 quid), however they do give you the facility for proper 240V mains type eletric, so you can run all your tools off it.

the draw backs I could see were :- cost, noise (although I've not heard one thats been described as whisper quiet) I think the people that live in the flats where the garage is wouldnt appreciate it, exhaust fumes (ie you need the either run the generator outside or plumb in some sort of exhaust tubing)

Mim... I have on loan a small Honda "silent" generator... wouldn't say it whispers! interestingly it takes a little time for 240v kit with high consumption (vacume cleaner) to get going! Anyone have an idea how many amp/hrs I need to power a Carcoon per week? or is that a mad idea...

Tricks

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

Glad to see this information is useful. Now I wish I was connected to Screw-fix, as their sales are rising rapidly!!

By the way, the lamp comes with screw holes on the back so that it can be mounted on a wall or ceiling, but can still be removed for charging. I'm going to mount mine on a board and experiment with white paint and/or tin foil to enhance the effect.

Another good hint: I'm gonna take it when I go camping in the 7 coz it will light my tent and the surrounding area!

C7 GAR

forgot to say:-

power (Watts)= current (amps) * voltage (Volts)

so if your carcoon takes 12 watts at 12 volts, it will draw 1 amp, which means a 110amp/hour battery should in theory power it for 110 hours, you can take a few hours off this due to the fact that the battery wont supply the full 12 volts for the whole 110 hours.

Simon,

Sorry I can't do the link thing, but if you do the following you will find it:

Home page

Shop

Lighting

Work Lighting

Rechargeable Lantern.

I noticed that it's £19.99 on the website but the mail order catalogue is asking for £25. The catalogue only came out recently so maybe the web price will increase soon??

C7 GAR

Leasure battery is a good idea as it is built to gradually discharge and come to no harm if it sits around in a discharged state.

It should be possible to mount a solar cell array on the garage roof to trickle charge the battery - Sail boats use this kit and I believe prices have come down over the last couple of years.

Regards

allen

Other non-mains power type stuff at ampair.com (I think) manufacturers of Wind generators solar panels, and if you happen to have a fast flowing stream running past your garage (who doesn't?) then there are water generators also.

Spoke to them at the boat show also and they said that a standard lead acid type car battery will lose 25% of its capacity to hold charge each time it runs flat so better to keep it topped up little and often.

I am working on a solar pannel trickle charging a car battery which then powers the "caravan" strip light.

Any excuse to avoid actually working on the car itself!!

Nick

On the subject of Solar chargers, my brother uses 1 he bought from Maplin, ( heavy duty weatherproof )was about £80 but had a reasonable output. He has it in his garage window ! It keeps his Fire Blade bike battery well charged. It would definately increase the time required between re-charges.

Mark.

just a quick report on the screwfix light. EXCELLENT. if i bought two more, with a spare standard worklight, i could have a fully operational nocturnal electricity-less garage. with just one, i was still pottering about last night well after dusk.

also, screwfix were excellent, the light arrived the day after, and they even include a stick on label with their address and postage on delivery in case i wanted to send it back.

one customer satisfied. if you have problems with no 'leccy in the garage, they can't be beat.. and screwfix had everything in their catalogue for very good prices. some stuff cheaper on the 'web.

happy tinkering ! j teeth.gif