Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Tyres ?

Morrison

I'm looking at A021Rs and AO32Rs (185/60/13).

I want tyres good for track but also at least some grip in the wet.

What do you reckon ?

Anyone know where I can get a good price ?

Any other tyres I should look at ?

Thanks for your help.

Morri7

I've got 14" 21's and 13" 32's. Both are great! 21's are a good all round tyre. I think most would agree that the 32's are better in the dry and some claim that they are as good in the rain. Whatever, the 32's are definitely "trouser-changing" in standing water!

I got mine from George Polley. Almost half the price of the best deal locally, good service and next day delivery!

James.

second both Peter and Sean. We have 32r's since Xmas and seem to have had nothing but wet weather driving the 1500 miles or so since, and the 32's seem great...and then when it does occasionaly dry out...different world from the michelins we did have. Also used G.Polley

Edited by - angus&tessa on 29 Jan 2002 14:25:28

For a general use tyre the 021R is THE one to have. So unless the car is 90% on track and only used in the dry for the other 10%, I'd recommend them every time.

I could, of course, simply be a big poofter. But whilst the 032R isn't as bad in the wet as it looks like it should be, it is simply light years away from the 021R.

Even putting power down in the damp is much better on the 21Rs than the 32Rs, and you don't even have to look for standing water with the 21Rs - cuts through nice and straight.

Mileage wise I did just short of 2k road miles and 4 successive, very hard (very hot, lots of right foot) track days (3.5 really as I resorted to borrowing slicks for part of a session and finished the day ealry) which took a set of 21Rs from brand new to illegal. I'd probably have used two sets of 32Rs.

The 32's have crisper turn in and ultimately more grip. But they aren't as progressive, are nowhere near as good in the wet and the 21s are much, much closer to 32s in terms of dry grip than they are Michelins et al.

I might be getting the opportunity to try some CR500s soon. Can't see them being worth double the money though. And later in the year I may try 48Rs. But 21Rs are hard to beat (and if the CR500 test doesn't come off, I'll be getting a new set shortly).

32Rs do look superb though wink.gif

Polley is the place to get them.

further to Andy, we got the 32's because we could not get 21's at the time, but they do diminish quickly! And we have not done trackdays with them, where I am sure they would not last long at all. Intention is to get 21's now they are back in stock, for all the reasons Andy mentions, and keep the 32's for 'special occasions', like a track day after more experiance. But yes, the 32's do look don't they!

OOOPS, SORRY PETER - THIS IS NOT PETER WRITING BUT ANGUS&TESSA, NOT HAVING CHANGED OUR USER NAME AFTER PETER USED THIS COMPUTER! (COULD PROBABLY TELL DUE TO THE LACK OF TECH. INFO ETC.)

Edited by - peter carmichael on 29 Jan 2002 19:32:37

Michelins are taxi tyres.

Have a word with Polley about compounds for 21s. I seem to recall that they're not that different from 'S' 32s, but the construction is different.

Personally I can go quicker in damp/wet conditions (ie more often than not in this country) on 21s and they last much longer.

32s aren't bad tyres, but I doubt I'll get them again. If you want brilliant dry weather grip for the track, buy part worn slicks.