Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harnesses

Shaun_E

• Support Team

My third techtalk topic of the day - I must be taking this sprinting lark a bit too seriously now 😬.

I was pulled up by the scrutineer on Sunday for not having an FIA homologated harness - this is the one where every belt has an FIA label and date on it. Having re-read the blue book I am far from convinced that this is actually mandatory for sprinting, but on closer inspection my harness is not in the best of condition so I am going to replace it.

So the question is: "What harness should I get?"

Issues are:

1) 50mm or 75mm lap belts? (75 mm shoulder belts are mandatory)

2) 4 point or 6 point? Car is used a lot on road as well so has to be useable as a 4 point only for ease of use.

3) If 6 point, what sort of crutch strap? Comfort and ease of use quite important to me.

4) Where do the crutch straps bolt to?

5) How do the crutch straps work with a leather S-type seat?

Cheers,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

1) 50mm with 75mm pads seems a good compromise, not sure you'd get 75mm straps through a Tillet if you upgraded to one.

2) 6 point, I always use all 6 even on the road.

3) I have "monkey tail" crutch straps, much more comfortable than a plug-in, esp if you need them in a crash.

4) There should be fixing tangs under the back of the seat.

5) No idea, I have Tillets.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here

I'm not sure that FIA harnesses are mandatory - you can go sprinting with inertia reel seat belts *confused*

Just don't have to use the crotch straps on the road - just let it dangle *eek* or tuck it under the seat squwab - with S-type seats , just bring it out between the back of the squwab (still not sure of the spelling on that...) and the seat back

• Support Team

Tom - What are "monkey tail" crutch straps? I can't find any reference to them on the web.

Anyone - Are the Caterham V- straps reasonably comfortable? They are cheap!

Graeme - I think you are right about that. I certainly have that interpretation having re-read the blue book. Thanks for the info on use of the crotch strap.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun

My crutch straps are 2 separate belts with a sewn loop on the end. These pass outwards through a steel D-loop on the waist belts, then fit over the shoulder straps before these are connected to the buckle. This means the straps are pulled away from the most tender parts of your anatomy.... Similar to this here

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here