Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake pad suggestions for sprinting

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Having had a deep score in my brake disk pointed out to me on Saturday, I need to replace my discs and think I will get new pads at the same time.

As I have started sprinting this year, I need pads that work well from cold. I also do trackdays so they need to be pretty fade resistant as well. I realise there probably isn't a perfect pad for this but am open to suggestions for a good compromise.

I have the big vented disks with AP 4 pots up front and the standard Sierra caliper at the rear. It is the front discs and pads I will be changing but will change the rear pads if necessary to balance things out.

I believe I have the normal Mintex 1144 front pads at the moment and these actually have worked well for me. The rears are the normal Caterham ones with the blue dot. I know that Pagid RS14 or RS15 have been suggested before, but what are they like from cold?

Please let me know what pad combinations work for you, especially if you are sprinting.

Thanks,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun

Pagid RS15's for the front and RS14's for the rears are the pads you need. These are excellent from cold and do not fade. Yes, they are not cheap but they out last and out perform every other pad I have tried *thumbup*

Congratulations on your fastest novice on Sunday and glad you recovered from the NTR for crossing the white line on your first timed run. Don't worry your in good company for transgressing at that corner, IIRC a certain Mr Branch transgressed in years gone by and at least you had plenty of other runs to record a time.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Support Team

Thanks Mark - was dead chuffed to get a trophy - first thing I have won since I left school 😬. As you would expect I was dissapointed at the NTR but, having been told where I had transgressed enabled me to take care not to do it again - it's an easy place to get carried away and it's a relief to know I'm not the only one who's done it *wink*.

So looks like Pagid is the right move - now where can I get them from and, just as important, how do I make sure I get the correct front ones as I believe the AP calipers have changed over the years. Mine are 1997 vintage.

Cheers.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Having just trawled through a million threads on this subject, it seems RS15s front and RS14s back really is the consensus for ultimate performance. However given the price of them and the fact I need 2 new AP vented discs *eek*, I was wondering if I could stick with the existing rear pads for the time being and just get the RS15 fronts. Is this likely to cause a problem with brake balance or will it just mean I don't get the ultimate stopping power?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I run standard pads on the back whatever they are *confused*(think they might even be the originals from 5 years ago) with 15's on the front

seems to work ok for me, my fronts will allways lock up before the rears, bu tthey did that with 'standard pads' as well

however that might be the reason I am 2s slower than the leaders 😬

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

• Support Team

Cheers Rob. Think I'll try that setup first and if it doesn't work then I'll get the RS14's for the rear at a later date. Hopefully everything will arrive and be fitted in time for Curborough so we should find out if it works then *smile*.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Call John at Performance Braking 01600 713117 and he will endorse the Pagid RS15 and RS14 choice and he will get them to you the next day. As you're fitting brand new front disks (have you looked at getting the old ones skimmed, £30 where I live) go for the wider 48mm pad which will give you significantly greater pad/disk contact area. My original CC supplied pads were only 40mm wide but if you're having new or reskimmed pads you can 'go large'.

I just went down this path and my first impressions of the new pads are very favourable.

• Support Team

I called Performance Braking yesterday and they confirmed that it would be possible to just fit the RS15s to the front but that it could mean premature front brake lock up. In the interests of getting the best braking performance I ordered the RS14s for the back as well 😬. I've gone for the wider front pads as I am fitting new discs. The RHS disc is very deeply scored and both are well worn so I am not happy to have them skimmed even though new ones are £120 each *eek*.

I was told that I need to clean up the rear discs using fine emery cloth to get rid of any of the old pad material. It might just be easier to replace the rear discs though - anyone know how much they are and a good source?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

£30 + VAT from Camberly Auto Factors. Ask for Triumph Spitfire front disks. My local branch had a set in stock. Cleaning old ones isn't difficult, it takes about half an hour. Don't forget to wind back the rear pistons when fitting new pads. Lots of recent threads on this if you haven't done it before.

• Support Team

Think I'll just clean the rears up - probably quicker and easier than replacing them.

I have the brake wind back tool as I replaced the rear pads about 18 months ago.

Cheers.

Yellow SL *cool* #32