Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rusty bits / tracking

Jam Mad

a couple of quickies..

i noticed with horror this weekend that just over the last couple of weeks, my front suspension has got a lot more surface rust. the rest of the car seems ok.

is this relatively easy to remedy with a bit of wire wool to rub it down, followed by a coat of the waxoil paint ?

second.. what is the best way to check tracking ? i remember several past posts about kwikfit being good.. then bad... then good.. then bad... what's the outcome ? kwikfit ? or my local garage ?

laters folks,

j

Jam,

The surface rust can be rubbed of and the suspension painted with Hammerite (smooth), however this is only a temporary measure as the paint is prone to chipping.

The long term solution is to get the suspension powder coated.

This will involve removing from the car but is relativly painless.

I have just had this done and the result was amazing. The bits came back looking like new!

It was fairly cheap too.

For the anti-roll bar, 2 X bottom wishbones and 2 X engine mounts it cost £30.00

Take a look here for a 22 year old woshbone that was powder coated.

If you are local....then try Crystal Finishing in Aldershot.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=limegreen>

Firstly yes it is easy to rub down providing you can gain access to the bits with a wire brush or wet and dry paper. secondly Waxoyl is not a paint its a protective coating which ideally you apply on top of a sound surface. Use Hammerite to paint the bits, you can use original or smooth, a previous thread suggested that one of the spray Hammerite family gave a finish not to disimilar to the std powder coating. Once this is done then you can protect with Waxoyl but in fairness if the painting is sound then further protection shouldnt be needed. I give a token spray of WD40 before going out if its wet.

For tracking then find a decent tyre dealer or your local garage. The toe/out adjustments and recommendations are in the handbook or will arrive on here very soon. In some places it is possible to watch and check what they are up to.