Click here if you are having website access problems ×

dry sump..

Dan fenner

How on earth does anyone get an accurate reading on the dry sump dip.....answers on a post card?

ooh, and what 'mm' spark wrench do i require for 1.8k....

cheers

Dan *confused*

Ps Richard(if you read this)it was great to meet a caterham owner 5mins from mi own door..did you hear that fluffed change i made nr Bramhope...ooops

I was always told, the oil level in the scavenge tank should be just below the baffle, when the oil is warm. as far as I know the baffle's purpose is to expel any entrained air in the oil. So it has to be above the oil level to work.

I made a dip stick for my tank, each time you dip the tank the level is different, depending on how much oil is left in the sump. So I tend to have a look in the tank with a torch before starting the engine from cold, then look in the tank with the engine ticking over as long as the oil is about an inch below the baffle mines ok.

'Pinky Pics' here

• Support Team

Assuming you have the bell housing tank, the instructions are to check the level immediately after switching the engine off - i.e. before any oil has time to drain back into the sump. Seems to work for me most of the time.

If you overfill it, oil will most likely be expelled into the catch tank.

Yellow SL *cool* #32