Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More views on Toyo Proxes R888..??

Griff

I've tried out A048s and am pretty happy with them, but might give Toyo R888s a go to see how they compare. Would appreicate any feedback after a summer of track days?

I've been quoted £60+VAT for 185/60x13 and £70+VAT for 205/60x13 which includes fitting and balancing which comes to £305-50 for a full set. My last set of A048s from George Polley cost £289-52 but after fitting this was up around £320, so the Toyos are working out 5% cheaper before shopping around!

My local dealer (Motorsport Wheels in Bristol) tells me there's only one compound for these, but I thought there were two? I'm running A048 softs on the front and A048 mediums on the rear which seems to work well. Are the Toyo medium-soft equivalent to the A048 medium, or soft?

Anyone else in the Bristol area need a set? Maybe we can negotiate a discount for quantity?

Cheers,

Mike (Griff)

It's not pink, it's medium red violet... 😬

Gareth Harold has used them for sprints - as have a few others, I think.

ISTR the (limited) feedback is positive but that no-one is claiming that 888s are 'the next big thing' - I would guess it comes down to price and availability at the moment.

I plan to try them when I next wear out my RE720s - my local outfit is a bit cheaper than the prices you've quoted AFAIK.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

They are not as good as ACB's, of that we can be sure. However, I am quite pleased with them but I have done very limited miles and only one sprint where I didn't really find their limits where I was placed. The same day the car that won the greater than 2 litre class was on them and won that class easily but it was a small class and no ACB's to compete against. If I can get my car fixed in the next two weeks I have another local sprint to try them on in October and will report back.

People have certainly been using them in the club sprints, so someone else will be able to comment no doubt

Thanks Graham. I don't doubt ACB10s are better overall, but I'm interested in keeping my radial tyre settings and retain a better all-round useability comparible with A032/A048. I guess it's hard to compare on sprints as they tyres won't get hot. I'm not sure if the R888 compound is similar to the A048 soft or medium. Any idea?

By the way, try Dubai if you're looking for sunshine. The season's just beginning with 8~9 months of track days and sprints to come - I'm missing it badly!

Good news from Toyo - they've contacted me with an offer of a rebate on their R888 tyres of £5 for 185/60x13 and £7.50 for 205/60x13, equating to £25 per set. This makes them a good deal cheaper than A048s from George Polley and they have lots more dealers around the country where fitting/balancing is included in the price.

They can't give this discount via the dealers but are suggesting a rebate form (posted on their web site for download) that to be returned with a receipt copy and they will mail back a cheque.

Sounds like a genuine offer - any interest out there 🤔 🤔

I seem to remember paying £230 for a set of R888's (2x185, 2x205's). £55 inc Vat for the fronts and £60 inc Vat for the rears but that didn't included fitting (I can get that done for nowt 😬)

My overall impression of the tyres is good although I can't compare them to AO48's as I used to have RE720's. Impressed with them on track tho and could keep up with others on 48's 32's and also stick around croft.

They seem to wear quite quickly tho, One sprint (Llandow), 2 "test" days at Curborough, Cadwell Club Track day and Croft Club Trackday and road use, in total 3000 miles and the outside ones are nearly down to the markers. I guess, if I had them swapped over after each trackday then I'd see another 2K out of them.

Gareth

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport with new wheels

Edited by - Gareth Harrold on 13 Sep 2005 14:14:54

Blimey Gareth, if you can get that much out of a set of tyres and still not past the markers I'd say it's pretty impressive!! I don't get that out of 32s or 48s.

Like the wheels by the way. Perhaps I'll give up on finding wider Minators and push the boat out in style.

If you paid £230 for the R888s excluding fitting that means £205 after rebate compared to George Polley's £290. That's almost 30% saving or buy 3 get 1 free 😬

The exact text of the reply from Toyo is below. The only restriction they place is that must be from a UK supplier so I guess supply or supply & fit is irrelevant. Toyo only care about shifting rubber!!

=========

The message from Toyo:

Firstly, I would like to offer you and your fellow caterham owners an incentive to try the Proxes R888 because I think you will find it very impressive. Our difficulty is in how we pass on a discount to you as all of our distributors are independent so we do not control their price and asking them to pass on a discount would be difficult to achieve.

As a result, I suggest we offer a £5 per tyre cash rebate on the 185/60 R 13 and a £7.50/tyre cash rebate on the 205/60 R 13. This would mean an additional £25 discount off any price negotiated with a dealer.

Toyo would pay this by cheque direct to the purchaser of the tyres. We could produce a simple claim form which could be given to your forum or downloadable from our website. The buyer would need to send an invoice to us as proof of purchase which we could send back with the cheque. The only rule would be that tyres would have to be purchased from a UK dealer.

Its probably a swearword to mention other low volume car manufacturers but we have had great success with a number of other lightweight track cars. The key to getting good times out of the tyre is the setup. Proxes R888 like to be run at between 36-40oC when hot. This equates to an external tyre temperature on the inner edge of around 70-80oC assuming you run negative camber.

Just spoken to 3 dealers including Kingsway Tyres suggested by Gareth. Prices fitted, balanced and VAT included range from £260 to a whopping £300. This is before rebate. Myles - couldn't find Eclipse mentioned on the Toyo dealer website - do you have a number?

Best price so far is Motorsport Wheels in Bristol.

Just double checked. Motorsport Wheels told me £60 for the fronts, £70 for the rears all inclusive fitting, balancing and VAT. Now they tell me that price is EXCLUDING the VAT *mad*

All is not lost! Kingsway price was £65 for fronts and £70 for rears definitely inclusive fitting, balancing and VAT. That's £245 after rebate so 22% cheaper *thumbup*

I'm comparing with George Polley mail order price (£290) plus an assumption of a very low £6 per corner fitting charge (some places charge £8~10 per corner if you bring your own tyres).

Just need to find another good reason to drive to Coalville!!