Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Honda K20A Engine 250bhp

gareth

I have a mildly tuned K20a Honda engine which is lying around and a 7 with no engine, it's marriage made in heaven.

Before you cry "it spins the wrong way it doesn't !!" these engines spin clockwise.

I will measure it up properly and post weights for the boffins. But it's lighter than the B series Honda engine by about 15kg. I had a quick measure and it seems to be as tall as the Rover K

The ECU's are no problem as I have the technology to disable the immobilisers and reprogram them.

They come with good crank,rods and pistons - this will keep the cost down.

Project K20A started !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting... ALL Honda engines since 2000 model year spin "correctly".. and these are readily available at most wreckers (here in N America at least) for reasonable prices.

Hondas are V durable engines.. seems only vandalism and a total lack of oil damages them... 200k is the normal/expected lifespan.. even in teenager usage.

Potentially a significant replacement for the Rover efforts ;-)

Sounds like Project Nutter MK2 to me

If you need motivation to get the job done nip over to the BaT site and have a look at the Nutter video clips, Im not sure if they had Vtec working but you obviously know all about Honda electrical issues and wont have a problem 😬

www.bookatrack.com

Steve

See My Zetec Power 7(soon to be sold :0( ) Here

Gareth.

Your quote "I have the technology to disable immobilisers and reprogram them" has been read by me at a very opportune time!

I have a nearly new Caterham blackbird (injection engine) we tested at Croix this weekend in preparation for an endurance race next saturday.

Unfortunately I lost the only immobiliser key after the tset session and it will cost around £720 for a new ecu & keys from honda.

One big problem is they wont sell them without V5 for motorcycle & other documentation which I dont have. The other is that even with the documentation I wont get the bits in time for the race.

Is there anything that you could do to help? - I could trailer the vehicle up and am quite competent on vehicle wiring and electronics but dont have the test equipment for passive chipped immobilisers. I would of course expect to pay, - do you fancy a challenge ?

The one BAT have is v,v,quick!!

*eek*

There is also someone trying (maybe they have done it now I dont know) to put the 20A in an Elise.....

I have spent the last 12 months trying to blow one of these up and as yet not succeded!!

See X777CAT here

• 1 month later...

Just a little Honda power update :

I changed the cams and modified the ECU and dyno'd the engine.

260BHP - with OEM crank and rods, they are already steel, no porting or polishing, a standard engine ....

I have a ported head, 1mm oversize valves, more aggressive cam and a 10,000 rpm rev limit coming,

I love the smell of over 300 bhp in the morning ...

For K20 series ECU reflashing:

Hondata.com

is a Good Starting point also ebhatch.com.. while more than a Bit Riceboy.. has lotsa tech info on the K 20a series , thru to the newest 4.. if interested

Bare

I am actually the Hondata UK dealer 😬 and am heavy involved in the tuning of these engines.

One engine which had new rods and pistons and a ported head made 274 hp and 170 ftibs of torque at the wheels. Just think of that in a se7en *thumbup*.

I know USA hp is not the same as UK power, but I am building the same spec engine for my car - just for fun and to check the figure out

Griff- thanks for the offer of help, but other Blatchatter have already saved the day